What is “Reef-Safe” Sunblock?
The term “reef-safe” or “reef-friendly” describes sunscreens and blocks that do not contain harmful chemical blockers like oxybenzone, octinoxate and others. These two most commonly used UV-blocking chemicals are known to cause coral bleaching, which leaves coral susceptible to disease and death.
In July 2018, the state of Hawaii banned the sale of sunscreens containing oxybenzone and octinoxate. The city of Key West, Florida, followed suit in early 2019. When both laws go into effect in 2021, people there will only be able to purchase so-called “reef-safe” sunscreens.
According to the National Park Service, here are some guidelines that will help you protect the ocean, sea life, and your skin.
- Avoid oxybenzone or octinoxate: Evidence suggests that oxybenzone and octinoxate are two of the more harmful chemicals for reefs found in sunscreens.
- Choose a non-nano, mineral-based formula: Mineral-based sunscreens that use ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium oxide are not associated with coral bleaching and therefore are less impactful to reefs. When choosing a mineral-based sunscreen, make sure it’s labeled as “non-nano.” This means that the particles in the sunscreen are larger than 100 nanometers and therefore too large to be ingested by coral.
- Avoid parabens: These are preservatives found in some skin-care products including some sunscreens. Health questions surround parabens in general, so many brands don’t use them and promote their sunscreens as “paraben-free.”
- Our general rule: Avoid plastics and if you can’t pronounce it, denounce it! NO methylparaben, ethylparaben, propylparaben, butylparaben, benzylpara hydroxybenzoate, ethyl hydroxybenzoate, butylpara hydroxybenzoate.
- Use a rub-on lotion: Use a lotion that you rub onto your skin rather than a spray that can easily drift onto the sand or into the water.
- Look for good water resistance: A sunscreen that stays on longer when you’re in the water is less likely to wash off.
Rancho reef safe, non-nano, water resistant sunblocks provide broad-spectrum UVA/UVB protection and are made with 18% zinc oxide and all organic carrot seed oil. Carrot seed oil is naturally protective and nourishing and is loaded with phyto-active nutrients and antioxidants that help shield and protect skin from sun damage and exposure. Rancho mineral block is infused with our own family farmed, whole-plant CBD hemp and contains only natural and organic ingredients and pigments like Moroccan red clay and organic cacao powder. Effective surf screen in coconut and cacao. Our reef-safe CBD sunblocks have been featured as one of RVCA’s Top 5 Eco-Friendly Summer Picks!
*Please recycle or reuse our tins.
Reef-Safe Hemp Coconut CBD Sunblock: Each 1 oz tin contains 150 mg. full-spectrum cannabidiol. Water resistant with 18% zinc oxide.
Our 100% Non-nano, reef-safe mineral CBD sunblock provides maximum UVA/UVB broad-spectrum protection. Experience a multi-benefit, mineral-based sun protection that is enriched with Phyto-active nutrients, antioxidants and whole-plant Cannabidiol (CBD).
190 in stock